Saturday, May 2, 2009

Fitness Program

Every morning that we have been living in our Wardli's we are obliged to either; run an allocated distance; play a game; or have a power training session. Our runs started, at first, with a 3.4 kilometre run, and are eventually working towards a 11 kilometre run towards the end of the program. The game we play could change every time depending on what the instructor in charge wants to play on the day. While the power training consists of running to Flaherty's beach on a sandy track then doing a series of short sprints, rapid turning, upper body work, etc.

Saturday 2nd May 2009

Today was our first run, and no one was looking forward to it as we were still living in our tents at the time... We approached the shed briskly everyone shivered in the morning cold, with most people dressed in a singlet and short running pants.

Dale started to explain the details of the 3.4 kilometre run and how we time ourselves and so on, and as soon as he finished talking we waited for the clock to tick over to 7:00 and we set off.

I started very gingerly, with concerns of a previous glute injury creeping up on me. I was still cold at the start of the run and had a little limp happening but was still sitting near the front of the pack. I immediately thought 'Next time I'll warm up first'. But I fought through the pain and kept running. I soon started to warm up and it came slightly easier, but the pain was still there. But I soon moved into second position and pulled away from any followers behind me.

I reached the steps still a massive way behind Corey, but I was in front of Favs and Callum behind me by a fair bit. But I was sweating and starting to seriously fatigue, and with my glute I wasn't feeling to great. But I kept running and holding my position. Occasionally I saw the outline of the white singlet of Corey running strongly out in front of me. I kept running and convinced myself I was close to finishing, when I wasn't really.

I eventually got back to the shed still limping and still in pain but happy because I had finished behind Corey who is a strong runner, also I could definitely run faster if my glute didn't hurt me.

Sunday 3rd May 2009

Today was to be seen as worse than yesterday as we were completing a 5.5 kilometre run rather than a 3.4 kilometre run. I arrived at the shed 15 minutes early and started some moving stretches as well as a few stationary stretches, and by the time we started I think that I was almost properly warmed up and ready to run.

I started off straight away from the front running next to Corey. My aim was to stay with him for most of the way and if I had the energy maybe get in front at the end.

By the time we hit the stairs I was still with Corey and he started to complain about his existing back injury but he kept running, but by the time we got to the jetty, Corey was forced to pull out because of his back injury. But I kept running strongly, but without Corey I couldn't quite push myself to get my best time. Despite this I kept running as fast as I could with only Callum and Favs near me.

I ended up finishing with a time of 22:45, I thought this was a good time, but I really had no clue at all. Overall, I thought that the 5.5 kilometre run was a lot easier than the 3.4 kilometre run.

Monday 4th May 2009

Today we participated in a game of modified soccer, which I was not happy because I don't like soccer at all, but since my class is not overly into football we don't play it, which sucks for people like me who all they want to do is play football. But it wasn't too bad... I guess.

We started off with three warm up laps as a group, as well as having a small stretching session. I was glad about this because it meant less time playing soccer.

After this we were allocated into two teams, and the modified rules were that everyone had to be over half way to score a goal, and for every person on the other team who was in your defensive half counts as another goal when you score. This meant that every person had to run up and down the field every possession, and although I didn't overly want to play I still tried and got into it, just pretty much kicking it as far as I could.

I was very happy as soon the game finished because I just wanted to go and have breakfast. If it was a better game I would have wanted to keep playing, but as it was soccer I was relieved.

Tuesday 5th May 2009

Today the fitness program consisted of another 3.4 kilometre run, up to the stairs and back, and 100 sit ups and 100 push ups. I was working hard, determined to break the 14 minute mark, which I did, with a time o 13:50. Just in front of Favs. Corey had a sore back and couldn't push me today, which I was disappointed about. But Favs pushed me as I was determined to beat him, which I successfully did. I was happy because all my injuries I put in the back of my mind and pushed through all the pain. The exercises after the run weren't too hard. I had a small stretching session and easily completed the sit ups and push ups.

Wednesday 6th May 2009

Today was a very different morning training session than normal, we participated in our first power training of the program. We began by running 1 kilometre along a sand track to Flaherty's beach where we the power training would take place. We started off with a short sprint to a line, touching it, turning and sprinting back, touching the line, turning and sprinting back, etc. The next thing we did was exactly the same, besides for the fact that we had to sprint a few metres longer. Then we did the same thing but to make it just that little bit harded we had to do 5 quick push ups on one of the lines and get up and sprint back, over and over again. I was very happy for this, as I could complete this easy, always coming first out of my group for all of these 3 activities.

Dale then marked out a zig-zagged line along the beach and we were to sprint it, touching every corner than we come across. As we started this I had to deamonstrate 5 times for Dale as he kept making me run, which was really hard, so I was buggered when I was running the next 5 that I had to run. As we did this a group of slower boys departed on their way back to Wambana. While we started to do some push up exercises. But they weren't too hard.

On the way back, we had to run indian file, which is where the person running at the back of the group has to sprint to the front and re-join the line... We did this the whole way back, and by the time we got back, most of us were buggered, but I wasn't too bad, but I still had a well earned shower.

Thursday 7th May 2009

As Dale was away and we needed him to run the 9.2 kilometre run, we had to swap it for tomorrows game, and, to my distress, we once again had to play soccer. I didn't really want to play, but I still tried when the ball came my way, kicking it as long and as far aw I could every time. For the second half I swapped into goal keeper and rapidly saved goals protecting my teams 1-0 lead. Then Callum pulled out the biggest fluke, having a shot and scoring off the pole to make it 1-1. But luckily straight after Daniel scored and we went on to win 2-1. We then did some stretches and that was the end of the session. I hate playing soccer and this wasn't a fun session for me...

Friday 8th May 2009

Today we were set to run the postponed 9.2 kilometre run. We split into two groups, the boys that thought they were capable of running the whole 9.2 and the boys who thought they couldn't run the whole way. The boys who couldn't run the whole way started along the beach and just had to keep running, while the boys who were completing the whole 9.2 set off with Dale and had to run the appropriate track on the road, which eventually linked up with the beach. When we reached the beach we came out as a group, while the rest of the boys had almost reached that point, so they all started turning around and we began our trip back.

This run wasn't timed and Corey was having some troubles and had to stop, so I stopped with him, and supported him through his pain. But soon after we engaged in running again, and ran all the way through to the finish, still finishing 3rd of 4th in the unofficial placings.

Saturday 9th May 2009

Today we set our at blistering pace, pulling away with a group of 4, Luke, Favs, Corey and myself. At half way Corey had to stuff after struggling in pain, but about 50 metres past half way, I made a dash away from the group, sprinting for about 200 metres away from Luke and Favs, and despite their efforts to catch me, and despite how tired I had become after that sprint I held them off, to get my best time of 13:20. I think the reason that I got this time was because I worked so hard and pushed myself when I pulled away from the group. Afterwards I was really happy cause I had beaten Corey's time and I had, had a solid win over Luke trying his best.

Afterwards we did some stretches and 100 of both push ups and sit ups. We also had to hold the bridge for 1 minute, and I did this 3 times with everyone that came later.

Sunday 10th May 2009

Today we had another 3.4 kilometre run, which we were all getting sick of, because with the 9.2 being changed a few days ago we have a schedule of 4 runs in a row, which is hard for everyone. It was hard the whole way but I still managed to get a time of 13:40, which is still a good time. But I was totally exhusted from the previous days run and thats the best I could have possibly done today. Afterwards I seriously needed to stretch as I started to have muscle soreness all over my body, especially through my legs. Then I went back to my Wardli knowing I had to be ready for tomorrows 5.5 kilometre run.

Monday 11th May 2009

Today we finally had another 5.5 kilometre run, which involved running to the end of the jetty and back. The slower people, or people with current injuries left at 6:45, but for the rest of us it was normal time at 7:00. I was in the lead pack with Corey and Favs, until I broke away just before the jetty, but they both managed to catch me up with about 2 kilometres to go. So we ran together again as the lead group, when Corey started to drop off the pace. Towards the end Favs really started to push me, but with about 200 metres left to go, I went for it sprinting home, managing to beat him by 12 seconds, gaining a time of 21:20, beating my old time by 1 minute and 25 seconds. I was pleased with my effort when Moff told me I was close to Sean Nunan's time, this was a real compliment for me.

Tuesday 12th May 2009

Today we had to be at the shed by 6:30 because we had to participate in the NAPLAN tests early in the morning. But thismorning we had power training instead of a run, but it was to be cut short because of the tests. We started the same as last power training, by running down the sand track to Flaherty's beach, then stretching and getting straight away into some short sprints, and some quick turns. We then did the same but did push ups on one side and turn on the other. After this everyone lined up together in two groups, the fast group, and the slow group... we then raced of short sprints seeing whether the long distance reflected on the short distance. Then the slow group were sent back, and we lined up in a group from slowest to quickest over short distance and then had to try and catch the person infront of us after they got a head start. I was at the back and had to try and catch Gavin while Luke was breathing down my neck. Unfortunately I didn't catch Gavin, but luke didn't catch me either so it wasn't all bad. We then ran back indian file, with the person at the back having to sprint to the front.

Wednesday 13th May 2009

Today I am leader, and in association with this I arranged with Dale to run at the back of the group and help out my room mate Logan Mahadeva. I ran with him, with the knowledge that he had never ran a whole 3.4 kilometre with out stopping, so this was my goal to keep him going. Tom Lyons ended up runing with us also, and I kept him going as well ensuring that he wouldn't walk for the entire run. I did this the whole way and they both didn't stop running. They both finished well with Logan beating his time by almost 2 minutes. He appreciated my help, and I was very proud of Logan for bettering his time. Afterwards we stretched and did our sit ups and push ups.

Thursday 14th May 2009

Today was our last day before the 11 km run, and we were set to play a game, but once again we had to wake up early for the NAPLAN testing and it was to dark to play a game. We then had a choice, to do push ups and sit ups or to go for a nice beach walk. I chose to do the sit ups and push ups but in the end didn't to to many. It was a really easy session before the 11 kilometre.

Friday 15th May 2009

Today was the big day for everyone, the 11 kilometre beach run. We got on the bus by 7:00 and we were running at Hardwicke Bay by 7:20. At the start Luke set a really fast pace at the front and kept running strongly, Favs and I tried really hard to catch him but he was running at a to great of a pace for us. But this kept us at a good pace trying not to get any further behind Luke. About 5 kilometres in, a few boys started to move up behind us, this made us lift our work rate and speed and we started to pull away again. At approximately 9 kilometres in Dale sprinted up to us and caught us, and he started to put us off our running by saying things like, 'a rest would go down well' and 'you look tired, why not stop, it will be good for you' but Favs and I just accelerated away and left him behind. The whole run had been extremely hard because we had a massive head wind that was pushing us back, but when we reached the sand track the wind went away, but the sand got soft, so it was a comprimise. But I found this track easier than the rest of it and we started to lift our pace. With about 100 metres left I sprinted away from Favs and ended up beating him by 7 seconds with a time of 56:00. This was a good time, but I knew if there was no head wind I could have done better. But I achieved one of my goals which was to beat Favs which I did, but I couldn't quite beat Luke.

Saturday and Sunday

Parent weekend - no fitness program.

Monday 18th May 2009

It was hard getting up thismorning after having the parent weekend. Today we had another 5.5 kilometre run, which was extremely hard work. I felt as if I was stiff recovering from the 11 kilometre run, and as soon as I started, I was groaning with the ache that came from every muscle in my body. But I was still running with Favs at the front, until I got off the jetty and I really needed to go to the toilet, so I ran off course and went to the toilet for a few minutes. I came out and tried to make up as much ground as I could. I ended up with a time of 26 minutes, four minutes behind Favs which is probably the time I would have got.

Tuesday 19th May 2009

Today we had another game, I was extremely happy to hear that we were playing footy as I ran back to my Wardli to get my footy. We were splity up into two teams, Wardli's 2 and 4 against Wardli's 3 and 5. It was a good game, with Tom Burfield for the opposite team and myself going head to head playing good games. But in the end Dale called out next goal wins, and we kicked it, but it was a pretty even match overall. I was just happy to play footy for the first time :)

Wednesday 20th May 2009

Today everyone was grouped at the shed, not including the people that left early, while Dale arrived and asked everyone how they were feeling. There were mixed responces with the majority leaning towards, 'tired', or 'sore', or 'not willing to run', or all three. So Dale proposed we have an easier run with everyone running together, I was stoked at this outcome, as I was really hurting. We all ran together without stopping for the whole 3.4 kilometres. Tom Lyons was struggling so Callum and I helped him out and pushed him to the finish. We all finished with a time of 21 minutes, I was so happy that we got a rest before tomorrows big run.

Thursday 21st May 2009

Today was a suprise run... The board displayed that we were running a 9.2 kilometre run, but Dale had previously told us that it was going to be changed for the better or the worse. This had us all a bit confused and didn't know what to expect. We got split up into two groups, the group that were going along the beach, the less capable runners, and the people that were running the 9.2 kilometre track, the more capable runners. I was in the second group and we set out along the course as a group. As we had nearly finished our bitumen segment of the running, Ned started having some real troubles with injuries and breathing, and mental willingness, so mainly Callum and I helped him through it until we were separated. When we reached the dirt road we took a detour, but not everyone went, he sent some people off down the track to keep running, while the rest followed Dale, we continued to go back and forward repeating the detour, and everytime more and more people were sent back. We eventually narrowwed the group down to the really good runners, myself still included, and we finally ran down the dirt track, but when we reached the beach Dale only sent a few runners to the left (the proper way to go) and the rest of us continued right. The pack that went right included Dale, Callum, Burf, Favs, and myself. After running a fair bit in the wrong direction we turned around and started to run in the right direction. This was when Dale told us all he was going to beat us and we had to make sure that he didn't. Burf sprited off leading us four, but I quickly chased him down taking the lead. I passes all the people that had been sent off and with everyone came a word of advice. But I was flying and passing everyone, my goal was not only to beat the other four people in the group but to beat the whole class back, so I pushed on, and ended up beating everyone back to the shed with Favs close behind. I was really happy with my effort and thought that I ran really well.

Overall, I loved the fitness program the camp gives and hope I can keep it up in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment