Saturday, May 2, 2009

Parent Weekend

On Friday the 15th of May, I was picked up a bit later than anticipated, but nonetheless I was still picked up within the allocated time. My father, John, and my mother, Sharee, picked me up at about 3:30 pm from Wambana, and we started on our way to Marion Bay Motel, where we were booked to stay. On the car trip over I was confronted with a flourish of questions from my parents, and informed about where we were staying, and how nice it looked. Despite the on rush of questions I was very happy to see my parents for the first time in three weeks, and simply enjoyed being in their company.

After being away from them for 3 weeks, I think that I felt a little more respect for them, knowing what they have to do day in, day out, every week of the year. Things like cleaning the house every day, washing the dishes after every meal, doing the washing when necessary, etc. But overall, I felt relitively the same about my parents, still loving the equally as much.

I love my parents for their continual love they show towards me. But they are both different in different ways. I love Mum for always being there for me, and helping me whenever I need it. I love my Dad for always being able to joke around and make me laugh. As well as always playing footy and things with me. But overall, I love them both equally, and I think that even though I have been away for 3 weeks it doesn't change anything... If anything it made the weekend even more special after not seeing them for a long time.

On Saturday the 16th, we left our motel and headed down the road towards Innes National Park. In the park, I was destined to be the tour guide showing my parents everything that I had seen, and memorising some of Moff's stories. I took them all the way around the whole national park, all the way to Browns Beach, which is the furthest beach you can drive to in the park. I showed them my favourite place in the park, Dolphin Bay. I also took them to various lighthouses we visited.

On Sunday the 17th, we were forced to leave our motel early as we had to have left our room by early morning. So we set off on our journey towards Maitland, where we were having lunch with my Dad's best mate Ken Watson (Waddo), and his family. Before we arrived there Dad took me on a tour of his old property, and his old town Maitland, and the various places there. Whether it be the footy oval or where he went to school, etc..

When we finally arrived there, we had a tour of the house and ate a roast for lunch. While this was happening Dad and Waddo were reminissing over their stories, as they hadn't seen each other for 15 years and desperately needed to catch up. While this was happening I met the family, and we all had a good lunch. After lunch, the kids headed back on the bus to boarding school and Dad, Waddo, and I look outside at the farm. Soon after we had to head back to Wambana, as I was due to be back there. But I think the parents could have talked all week if they had the time. Overall, it was a fun day, in which I was happy to finally meet my Dad's best mate and his family.

I had a great weekend with my parents and cant wait to see them again on Thursday.

After the parent weekend I am looking forward to surfing...

No comments:

Post a Comment